FIDE WORLD SCHOOL CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP 2017
21 April – 01 May, 2017
Iasi County Chess Association, the World Chess Federation (FIDE), Romanian Chess Federation and the City Hall of Iasi, have the honor to invite all the FIDE Members Chess Federations and eligible players to take part in the FIDE World School Chess Championship 2017 (open and girls, under 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 and 17 years old) organized in Iasi, Romania, from 21th April (arrival) to 1st May (departure) 2017.
General Regulations & Rules
- The Championships shall be governed by the General Regulations for FIDE Competitions and these Rules.
- There shall be 6 categories; namely Under-07, Under-09 Under-11, Under-13, Under-15 and Under-17 with separate events for Open and Girls.
- Entitled to participate are players who shall not have reached the age of 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 before 1 January 2017:-
Under-07: Born on or after 1 January 2010;
Under-09: Born on or after 1 January 2008;
Under-11: Born on or after 1 January 2006;
Under-13: Born on or after 1 January 2004;
Under-15: Born on or after 1 January 2002;
Under-17: Born on or after 1 January 2000.
- The following have a personal right and are entitled to participate provided they fulfill the condition of Rule 3 above:-
- 4.1 The Champions of the FIDE World School Chess Championship 2016
- 4.2 The Continental Schools Champions 2016.
- FIDE member federations & FIDE-endorsed Chess Academies shall have the right to send as many players as they wish, registered only through the National federation.
System & Schedule
- Time control: Each player shall have 90 minutes for 40 moves and 30 minutes for the rest of the game with the addition of 30 seconds per move starting from the first move.
- Where possible, each category shall be conducted in the Swiss System of 9 rounds.
- Tournament schedule:
|21 April 2017||Arrival of Participants|
|22 April 2017||11.00
|23 April 2017||15.00||Round 1|
|24 April 2017||09.30||Round 2|
|24 April 2017||16.30||Round 3|
|25 April 2017||15.00||Round 4|
|26 April 2017||15.00||Round 5|
|27 April 2017||15.00||Round 6|
|28 April 2017||15.00||Round 7|
|29 April 2017||15.00||Round 8|
|30 April 2017||15.00||Round 9|
|30 April 2017||21.00||Closing Ceremony|
|01 May 2017||Before 12.00||Departure of Participants|
Designation of the Winners
- The final ranking order of the players is determined by the number of points scored. If at the end of the tournament two or more players are tied for the first place or for any prize, the tie shall be broken as in accordance to the following:-
- 9.1 Direct Encounter
- 9.2 Buchholz Cut 1
- 9.3 Buchholz
- 9.4 Greater Number of Wins with Black Pieces
- 9.5 Greater Number of Wins
- Before the beginning of the first round, a list of the prizes to be awarded to at least the 6 highest placed participants, including special prizes shall be published together with the rules for their award. The Organizer shall also award Gold, Silver and Bronze medals to the players taking the first three places in each event.
- For Under-13, Under-15 & Under-17 categories, finishing first equal up to 3 players shall be awarded the FM/WFM title. The Silver & Bronze Medal winners shall be awarded the CM/WCM title.
- For Under-07, Under-09 & Under-11 categories, finishing first equal up to 3 players or Silver & Bronze Medal winners shall be awarded the CM/WCM title.
- Certificates shall be awarded to players who finish in the top 3 positions.
- Certificates of Participation shall be given to players, FIDE accredited trainers, managers, and the FIDE appointed Technical Officials.
- The Appeals Committee shall comprise 3 persons one of whom may be the FIDE Technical Delegate. In the event that the Appeals Committee is appointed by the Technical Meeting, there should be an additional 2 reserve members and in this case, no member shall take part in a decision affecting a player of his own federation.
- A protest against the decision of an Arbiter must be submitted in writing to the Chief Arbiter, within two hours after the end of the playing session.
- A protest fee of 200 €uro shall be payable to FIDE which is refundable if the protest is upheld. The Appeals Committee may also decide to refund the fee if it considers the appeal was not frivolous.
- The decision of the Appeals Committee is final, binding and takes effect immediately.
- From the duration of arrival and until departure, the Organizer shall insure the participants against accidents and the need for medical services including cost of medicines in case of acute illnesses, surgical operations, etc. The Organizer shall not be responsible for medical services needed for treatment of chronic or other illnesses which already existed before the arrival at the Competition.
- All players and accompanying persons who require a visa to enter Romania must send a copy of passport (page with photo and key information) to the Organizer before the deadline of 20 February 2017 after which the Organizer shall not be responsible. The Organizer will give full support to assist participants to receive entry visas and to speed up the procedure in Embassies and Consulates of Romania.
Playing Venue & Official Hotels
- Accommodation and board will be provided (first come first served rule) at the:
- five star hotel with prices
– 58 euro / day, the person – double room + 3 meals
– 78 euro / day, the person – single room + 3 meals
Pleiada 5*Hotel, http://www.hotelpleiada.ro/, 2,5 km to Tournament Hall; 30 rooms
- four star hotels with prices
– 49 euro / day, the person – double room + 3 meals
– 68 euro / day, the person – single room + 3 meals
Select 4* Hotel, http://www.selectgrup.ro/hotel/, 1 km to Tournament Hall; 15 rooms, only double room
Bellaria 4* Hotel, http://www.bellaria.ro/, 3 km to Tournament Hall; 45 rooms
Capitol 4* Hotel, http://www.capitol-hotel.ro/, 5 km to Tournament Hall; 10 rooms
- three star hotels with prices
– 44 euro / day, the person – double room + 3 meals
– 58 euro / day, the person – single room + 3 meals
Moldova 3* Hotel, www.hotelmoldovaiasi.ro, 0,4 km to Tournament Hall; 100 rooms
Astoria 3* Hotel, http://www.hotelastoria.ro/, 1 km to Tournament Hall; 50 rooms
Zimbru 3* Hotel, http://www.hotelzimbruiasi.ro, 1,2 km to Tournament Hall; 60 rooms, 12 rooms will be triple room with 41 euro / day, person + 3 meals
Capitol 3* Hotel, http://www.capitol-hotel.ro/, 5 km to Tournament Hall; 35 rooms
Majestic 3* Hotel, http://hotel-majestic.ro/, 1 km to Tournament Hall; 20 rooms
Belleville 3* Hotel, http://www.hotelbelleville.ro/, 1,2 km to Tournament Hall; 16 rooms
Dorobanti 3* Hotel, http://www.hoteldorobanti.ro, 1 km to Tournament Hall; 30 rooms
- two star hotels with prices
– 32 euro / day, the person – double room + 3 meals
– 42 euro / day, the person – single room + 3 meals
Sport 2* Hotel, 0,1 km to Tournament Hall; 15 rooms
Teachers ISJ 2* Hotel, Street Octav Botez, nr,2A, 2,5 km to Tournament Hall; 25 rooms
Teachers T. Vladimirescu 2* Hotel, http://www.dss.tuiasi.ro/campus/21, 1,2 km to Tournament Hall; 20 rooms
- hostel with prices
– 26 euro / day, the person – double room + 3 meals
– 35 euro / day, the person – single room + 3 meals
Tudor Vladimirescu Hostel, http://www.dss.tuiasi.ro/campus/8, 1,2 km to Tournament Hall; 20 rooms
-All hotels provide free internet access in rooms.
- All players and accompanying persons must be accredited and stay at the Official Hotels.
- The Organizer shall provide free board and lodging (in twin share rooms) for players mentioned in Rule 4 above as well as for one accompanying person per federation (with minimum participation of 6 players) and provided he holds a valid license as FIDE trainer.
- In accordance to the FIDE Financial Regulations, the Entry Fee for players is €40. This shall be paid directly to FIDE.
Name of Account: Federation Internationale Des Echecs
Name of Bank: UBS Bank
Account Number: 243 – 342087.63Y
IBAN: CH54 0024 3243 3420 8763 Y
Bank Address: Case Postale, 1002 Lausanne, Switzerland
- All players and accompanying persons must pay a Registration Fee of €40 to the Organizer. The Registration Fee is to include the costs for Accreditation Cards, Certificates, etc.
- The travelling costs of all participants must be paid by themselves or by their national federations.
We will ensure the transfer of competitors, to hotels, from the Iasi International Airport at 10 eur/person (both ways);
Registration of Participation (as per General Regulations for FIDE Competitions)
- At least 3 months (Before 20 January 2017) before the beginning of the Competition, a federation shall register its intention to participate with the Organizer. This is a Preliminary Registration and should indicate the number of players and other participants.
- At least 2 months (Before 20 February 2017) before the beginning of the Competition, the participating federation shall submit its Final Registration of participants. The birthdate of each player must be given and must correspond with the birthdate given in his passport or other travel document. All travel documents must also be submitted if visas are required. The Organizer shall not be responsible for late submission and application for visas.
- Prepayment of at least 50% must be paid before the deadline of 20 February 2017.
The rest of the payments shall be made before the start of the First Round.
- 30. Entry Fees for late registration, withdrawal or no show shall be charged as follow:
- 30.1 Late registration after the deadline (20 February 2017): two times of stipulated entry fee
- 30.2 Withdrawal after submission of registration: two times of stipulated entry fee and one night’s hotel expenses
- 30.3 No show after registration: two times of stipulated entry fee and two nights’ hotel expenses
- 30.4 If a player/team registers late and withdraws or does not appear: the federation will be charged the higher penalty.
- 30.5 The Organizer must send to FIDE the list of participants one week (27 February 2017) after the registration deadline.
- School Chess Teachers, Arbiters and Trainers Seminars will be held from 24 to 27 april 2017.
- In the end of April and the beginning of May the average air temperature in Iasi is about 180C.
The electrical voltage in Romania is 220 V.
Currency – Romanian Lei (RON). In July 2016: 1 USD ≈ 4,07 Lei, 1 EUR ≈ 4,5 Lei
The games from the first boards will be broadcast live.
The final interpretation of the Regulations is one of the Organizers.
For any other matter not mentioned in the General Regulations, the Organizing Committee may decide after consultation with FIDE.
Registration and Payment
- All payments (hotel, registration fee) should be made in EUR currency and shall be transferred to the bank account of the organizer. The account information:
Bank Account: BANCA COMERCIALA ROMANA S.A.
SWIFT: RNCB RO BU
BANK CODE: 0175
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 2511.A01.0.3361351.0175.EUR.8
BANK ADDRESS: STR. PALAT, NR.11, IASI, ROMANIA
ACCOUNT HOLDER: ASOCIATIA JUDETEANA DE SAH IASI, Aleea Tudor Neculai, nr.17, IASI, ROMANIA
- The foreign bank and transfer commissions must be paid by the sender. The players will not be paired until all the payments are effected to the organizer. The deadline of all payments is 1 April 2017.
- Organizer: Iasi County Chess Association
Tournament Director: Eng. Dr. Vasile Manole, President of Iasi County Chess Association, Iasi, Romania